After falling asleep while chewing gum in her mouth, a woman suffocated to death.

An inquest heard this week that a woman choked to death after falling asleep while chewing gum.

Sulwen Jones, 55, chewed gum on a regular basis to combat the dry mouth caused by her medication.

She was, however, discovered dead in her house in Caernarfon, North Wales.

On October 5, 2021, her sister discovered her unresponsive, and paramedics were unable to revive her.

Sulwen took medication for multiple sclerosis, which she was diagnosed with exactly 20 years before she died, according to the inquest this week.

Sulwen chewed gum for her dry throat on a regular basis, according to the hearing.

She had fallen asleep with a piece in her mouth and choked, paramedics said the Caernarfon hearing.

Chewing gum traces were discovered throughout her body, including her airways, during a post-mortem examination.

Her cause of death was listed as multiple sclerosis-related aspiration of chewing gum.

Assistant Coroner Sarah Riley reached the finding that the death was due to an accident.

“I agree with pathologists in terms of the medical cause of death,” she stated.

“Miss Jones’ death will be declared an accident as a result of an unanticipated side effect of chewing gum.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *