China’s internet censors WHO Director-General Dr Tedros after he stated that China’s zero-Covid policy is untenable.

After criticising the country’s zero-Covid policy, the president of the World Health Organization (WHO) is being banned on China’s internet.

Weibo and WeChat, China’s two largest social media platforms, blocked WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus’ views because they contradict Beijing’s “policy.”

“When we talk about the zero-Covid plan, we don’t think it’s sustainable, given the virus’s current behavior and what we expect in the future,” Tedros said during a press conference on Tuesday.

“We spoke with Chinese specialists about this and concluded that the method would not be viable…

I think a transformation will be very significant,” he remarked.

Tedros’ comments came only days after Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged to intensify China’s “zero covid” policy and “resolutely combat” against any opponents.

Tedro’s comments were tweeted early Wednesday morning by the United Nations’ official press account on China’s Twitter-like Weibo, drawing anger from netizens.

“Defend our country’s epidemic prevention and control measures vehemently against any words or actions that distort, doubt, or deny them! The World Health Organization must go! “a response stated

“Should the UN’s verified account this time be blocked?” another person stated.

The post was no longer available on Weibo by mid-morning, “due to the author’s privacy setting.”

According to Reuters, a Weibo hashtag with Tedros’ name has been blocked, and photographs of his face have been removed from the platform.

As early Wednesday morning, May 11, an item from the UN’s official account on WeChat that included Tedros’ statements had been “blocked from sharing owing to a violation of relevant laws and regulations.”

Tedros’ words were likewise deemed “irresponsible” by Beijing.

“We hope that relevant people may look at China’s epidemic prevention and control policies objectively and rationally, learn more about the facts, and stop from making reckless statements,” Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at a news conference on Wednesday.

The swift spread of Omicron in China continues, and Shanghai, the country’s most populated and cosmopolitan metropolis, has been on lockdown for six weeks, while Beijing has closed schools, restaurants, and rolled out periodic mass testing to contain the outbreak.

Published
Categorized as News

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *