The bail of a married Everton footballer detained on suspicion of child sex offenses has been renewed.

Last summer, an Everton footballer was detained on suspicion of child sex offenses and had his bail extended once again.

The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, will appear in court again in July, a year after being detained by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and suspended by the club.

Greater Manchester Police had previously extended his bail three times.

The footballer was free on police bail until October 19, 2021 after being arrested on Friday, July 16, 2021. This was extended to Sunday, January 16th, 2022, and then to Wednesday, January 19th, 2022.

Greater Manchester Police announced to Mirror Football in January that it has been extended a third time, until April 17 2022. As a result of the ongoing investigation, the deadline has been pushed out to July 16.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: “After our application was allowed by magistrates, a 31-year-old male detained on Friday, July 16, 2021 on suspicion of child sex offenses had his bail extended. As investigations continue, he will be summoned to answer bail on Saturday, July 16th.”

Last July, authorities raided the Premier League star’s home and arrested him. The player, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has been suspended by his club, which has been cooperating with the police inquiry.

Greater Manchester Police announced at the time of his arrest last year: “On Friday, July 16, 2021, officers arrested a man on suspicion of child sex offenses.

“He is being held on police bail pending further investigation.”

Everton also issued a statement, which stated as follows: “Everton can confirm that a player has been suspended awaiting the outcome of a police investigation.

“At this point, the Club will continue to assist the authorities with their investigations and will make no further statements.”

The athlete has yet to be charged with any crimes by the police.

A source told the Mirror shortly after the arrest: “This has caused a great deal of consternation.

“Any notion of child-abuse charges should be taken very seriously from the moment they are made.”

The insider continued: “Clearly, this is a case that has to be thoroughly probed. Allegations of this type will raise a lot of eyebrows among the club’s employees, fans, and the general public.

“We’ll have to wait and see where the investigation leads us now.”

Published
Categorized as Sport

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *