In a devastating turn of events, authorities have arrested four individuals—including the property owner—following a catastrophic fire that tore through a popular Turkish ski resort, leaving at least 76 people dead and dozens more injured.
The blaze erupted in the early hours of Tuesday, January 21, at approximately 3:30AM local time, rapidly engulfing the 12-story Grand Kartal Hotel located in the picturesque Köroğlu Mountains of Turkey’s Bolu province.
Turkish Justice Minister Yılmaz Tunç confirmed the arrests in a statement shared on X (formerly Twitter), revealing that the hotel’s owner is among those now in custody as investigators work to determine what triggered the deadly inferno.
Survivors have shared harrowing accounts of their desperate attempts to escape the rapidly spreading flames. Guest Atakan Yelkovan told local news agency IHA that he and his wife were awakened not by fire alarms, but by the smell of smoke infiltrating their room.
“The alarm did not go off,” Yelkovan recounted. “We tried to go upstairs but couldn’t, there were flames. We went downstairs and came [outside].” His testimony raises serious questions about the hotel’s safety systems and emergency protocols.
Yelkovan described witnessing terrifying scenes as the tragedy unfolded: “People on the upper floors were screaming,” he said, noting that some guests resorted to hanging bedsheets from windows while others felt they had no choice but to jump.
One anonymous hotel employee shared a particularly heartbreaking scene with IHA news agency: “I saw a father with his baby in his arms asking for pillows so he could throw down his son. Luckily he waited for the emergency services who saved them.”
The same employee witnessed two women on the top floor jumping to their deaths in desperation. That floor reportedly housed a group of students, though authorities have not yet released details about the identities or ages of those who perished in the blaze.
Another guest, Eylem Senturk, managed to escape with her daughter while her husband became temporarily trapped. According to reports from Anadolu news agency, her husband eventually found safety by jumping onto a lower roof.
While the exact cause remains under investigation, Bolu Governor Abdulaziz Aydin suggested the fire may have originated in the hotel’s restaurant area before spreading rapidly throughout the structure. The remote mountain location and freezing temperatures reportedly complicated rescue efforts.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan declared Wednesday a national day of mourning and assured the public that those responsible would be held accountable. “Every stage of the investigation is carried out with great care and sensitivity,” Justice Minister Tunç emphasized in his statement.
The US Consulate in Istanbul issued a statement Tuesday evening expressing condolences for the victims and their families. Officials have not yet disclosed whether any US citizens were among those affected by the tragedy.
As the investigation continues, serious questions are emerging about the hotel’s fire safety systems. Multiple survivor accounts mention no fire alarms sounding during the emergency, potentially contributing to the high death toll as guests slept unaware of the danger until flames had already engulfed portions of the building.
The arrests, coming swiftly after the tragedy, suggest investigators may have already identified potential safety violations or negligence. However, authorities have not yet released specific details about what led to the four arrests.
This devastating incident marks one of Turkey’s deadliest hotel fires in recent history, sending shockwaves through the country’s tourism industry and raising concerns about safety standards at remote resort locations throughout the region.
Our thoughts remain with all those affected by this unimaginable tragedy as rescue workers continue their efforts and investigators work to uncover the full circumstances surrounding the deadly blaze.